I’m writing from my home town of Port Macquarie in Australia where I grew up. Technically I’m on holiday and enjoying a much-needed break to recharge the batteries after a busy year, but I didn’t want to let 2015 slide to a close without checking in on how your year has been?
Now, a lot of people (including me until several years ago) don’t pay much attention to the year that’s gone, instead focusing on what lies ahead and all the things they want to do and achieve in the coming year. It’s quite a normal thing in our goal-oriented, future-focused society, but not taking the time to really reflect on the year just gone means a helluva lot of juicy goodness slips through your fingers.
Whether you think 2015 was a good year for you, or really not that crash hot, I know that good, positive stuff DID happen to you. You DID achieve things. You DID have some amazing times. You DID have some real moments of connection. You DID have moments of joy and happiness.
Life is full of downs AND ups, so my invitation to you is to take time out to reflect on and recognise just how many amazing moments there were for you in 2015 (and once you get to listing, you’ll be surprised at how many more keep popping into your head).
I’ve been doing this a lot with friends and family in the last few weeks and it can be as simple as listing your top 5 proudest moment of 2015. But we’re not just talking about achievements, we’re talking about things that ENRICHED your life.
A highlight for a friend of mine was supporting someone they care about though a really difficult time. For me, it was investing in a business mentoring programme and not only getting the support I need to take my business to the next level but meeting some wonderful, inspiring women through the programme. What about you? What springs to mind as highlights of your 2015?
If you haven’t yet had a chance to reflect on 2015, I’ve shared a few pointers below on some questions to consider so that you can fully appreciate and honour yourself and what you did in the world (or in yourself) in 2015.
HOW TO CLOSE OUT YOUR YEAR WITH A BANG
- If you want the quick and easy way to recap your year, just take 5-10 minutes to list your top 5 highlights. They could be anything. What have been your most memorable/proudest/uplifting moments of the year and why? (I’ve talked about this before, but make sure you answer the why as it really gets you into the feelings of the experience.)
- If you want to make it more of an event, a ritual of sorts like I do, then take yourself off somewhere nice, settle in with a coffee, hot chocolate or glass of wine, grab your journal and give yourself time to ponder the year just gone.
- Open your journal and answer all or some of these questions, whichever call to you most.
What 5 things am I most proud of myself for this year?
In what ways have I grown or changed this year for the better?
What did I stop doing this year that I am most proud of?
What did I start doing this year that has made a real positive impact on my life?
What are 5 things I am most grateful for that happened this year? Why?
What 5 moments of connection really stand out for me this year? Why?
You may find some things fall into multiple categories, so have fun and stretch your mind (and your memory) and see if you can list as many different things as you can!
Here’s why a ritual to wrap up the year is so powerful…
- Because the person who needs to recognise your value more than anyone else, is you.
- Because looking at what you DID do, rather than what you didn’t, boosts your self-esteem, your self-confidence, and your overall wellbeing.
- Because focusing on the positives attracts more of it into your life and shifts your mindset from a problem-focused one to a miracles-minded one.
Do you know what happens, when all three of those things happen? We start seeing possibilities and opportunities in front of us. We get curious about how we can make things happen, rather than why they won’t happen. And that, my friend, opens the door to a far more incredible 2016 than you could have imagined 🙂
And incase you feel like you need an extra joyful boost to get 2016 off to a stellar start (and keep it that way), then don’t forget the 21-Day Joy Challenge videos are on available for just £29.95. That’s 21 inspirational videos, delivered over 3 weeks, to get you in touch with a whole new level of JOY and keep you there. If you think that sounds like the kind of joy injection you need, read more and buy your bundle of joy over here.
Before I leave you to go and celebrate New Year’s, I want to say thank you for being a part of my joy journey this year. It’s been quite a ride and I am so grateful you have been on it with me – without you there wouldn’t be a ride! So thank you. And I plan to serve up even more joy for you in 2016.
Big hugs, crazy celebration and high fives to you.
Have a great New Year.